Thanks for that encouraging reply, Rob. Can I ask a quick supplementary?
I have colour jpgs, not particularly high res but neither are they poor.
And I'm making a pdf for submission to a printer, to be printed in b/w.
The jpgs are atthe moment much bigger than I need: I'll have to scale
them to about 40%.  Should I process the jpgs into monochrome tiffs? Or
would the conversion cost me definition?