On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 7:01 PM, Hoodrio <hoodste...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Just installed Lyx on my '09 iMac, on which I have saved a completed novel
> (in Pages software).  How would I import this document's contents into Lyx
> without making a mess of the formatting?

It really depends on how much formatting you have. Don't expect things
to work nicely if you're using lots of features of Pages. Pages can be
a page layout program, which LaTeX and so LyX is not. If it's just
text you're trying to convert, things should be *relatively* painless.

One way would be to save it as plain text (i.e., without formatting),
and apply the needed formatting manually in LyX. Another would be to
export in some format LyX can import, such as Rich Text Format (though
that may depend on whether you want to bother installing software like
rtf2latex2e, which would require installing Apple's Developer's Tools
first). Yet another would be to export to a format (like MS Word) that
can be imported by OpenOffice.org, and then use OpenOffice.org to
export LaTeX, which LyX can then import.

BH