> (a thought strikes me: could these font errors pertain to some pdf
> files I include, which are musical scores made into a pdf by
> Sibelius?)

I'm replying to my own post: this was indeed the case. When I removed
the external materials, the problem went away and the printer's
objections disappeared.
However, this still leaves me with the problem of how to include these
scores, which I must include. I am not competent either with musical
notation or with the Sibelius software: the pdf files were kindly
prepared for me by a friend from within Sibelius itself- though as is
now apparent, without embedding the fonts.

So the issue has become: Is there some way I can rectify this, by
embedding the missing font in my own lyx document? IE, managing a
missing embedding in an external file by embedding the font in the
parent doc? Or is that unthinkable?