(here is another attempt to write to this mail list; I am not sure my first
attempt worked; this time I am writing from the blog at Gmane)

Dear LyX usres,

This is my first post to this mailing list, and it's been just a couple of days
since I started exploring LyX to see if it can suit my needs. I'm also
Latex-illiterate. So please be patient with me ;-)

I am writing papers that are mostly in Russian, but may have some passages in
English or in Greek. I didn't have any problems typesetting texts in these
languages in LyX under Ubuntu Karmic. The problem arouse when I needed to insert
some obsolete Russian characters that were used before the 20th century. Namely,
the letters yat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yat), fita
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fita) or izhitsa
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Izhitsa): if I insert them to LyX via Character
Map, LyX refuses to produce a pdf, complaining that it can't recognize these
characters. Is there any way to solve this problem?

 Thanks in advance,

 Andrey