It would appear that on Feb 23, Helge Hafting did say:

> Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
> > The sequence is the TOC followed by a tex code box containing:
> > \mainmatter
> > \pagenumbering{roman}
> >
> > Then a few short chapter*(s) That are not part of the numbered chapters.
> > And it is not desired for them to be labeled as "contents" in the output
> > (pdf)
> >
> > Then there is another tex code box containing:
> > \pagenumbering{arabic}
> >
> > And finally  Chapter 1...
> >
> > How can I stop "output" from inserting the word "contents" into the
> > the page header of the "chapter*{s} without relocating them to
> > before the TOC, nor after chapter 1???
>
> This works for document class "book":
>
> Immediately after the TOC (before your chapter*), an ERT box with
> \pagestyle{plain}
> This gets rid of the running header you didn't want. You will still
> get "contents" on TOC pages, if your TOC spans more than one page.
>
> The first normal text in the first chapter should start with an ERT box with:
> \pagestyle{headings}
> in order to reinstate the running headers that you probably want for your
> numbered chapters.
>
> The page styles:
> empty     - nothing, not even a page number
> plain     - a page number, nothing more
> headings  - page number and running header (with the chapter name,
>             usually)
> myheadings- user defined by using more ERT (\markright or \markboth
>             whenever you want the running headers to change)
> fancy     - Even more user defined. Maybe you want a logo in the
>             heading, a colored page number, anything goes but
>             more ERT is needed.
>
> Note that the \pagestyle command is only necessary if you want running
> headers in the normal chapters but not elsewhere. If you don't want
> any running headers at all, just turn them off in document settings,
> page style set to "plain".  No need for ERT then.
>
> To style a single page differently: \thispagestyle{plain} in an ERT box
> anywhere on that page.

Like I said previously Helge, the insertion of "\pagestyle{plain}" &
"\pagestyle{headings}" in the places you described worked for what I wanted
for the current project. But I spent some time trying to figure out how to
use \pagestyle{myheadings} with somewhat less success.

I found that By using \pagestyle{myheadings} instead of \pagestyle{plain}
I could then get "SOME" control over the headers of my "chapter*" with
\markboth{header text}{other header text}
One problem was that it wouldn't print on the 1st page of a chapter* But
that was only a minor aggravation. The real problem was that the
"\pagestyle{headings}" I'd inserted just before the first normal text of
the first normal chapter, no longer caused it to resume the default
headers that I'd normally get for the chapters. But kept on using the
page header(s) I'd set with "\markboth{header text}{other header text}"
What would I have to do to get the normal headers to resume after setting
up a chapter* to use "\pagestyle{myheadings}" ???

And if you could be so kind as to point me at a good {example rich} how-to that
covers doing something similar to a "document class book" with \pagestyle{fancy}
I'd be grateful. Cause I failed to get that working at all... <sigh>

Sorry to be such a pest.