Thanks for this. By following your instructions I managed to a) see the pdf
in lyx on screen and b) generate a DVI file. But the  place where the pdf
should be is empty. If however I c) try to generate a pdf from pdflatex, lyx
just goes into an endless loop, from which I can only exit by forcing a
program quit.