Sorry to top-post, but this is a long message.

On 03/30/2010 11:50 PM, george legge wrote:
Hello to you all  --  This is my first message to the list.

I have the 64bit version of Lyx 1.6.4 running on 64bit SUSE 11.1 together
with Texlive.

Lyx would not convert to pdf until I installed kdegraphics3-pdf and
kdegraphics3-postscript.

Are you sure that LyX would not convert to PDF? This sounds like...

Without those packages, it seems the 64bit installation does not have a
version of kpdf (information off the web).

  Fine, I can now view as pdf and print that. I can also view as dvi; but
that's as far as it goes.

...what it wouldn't do is View>PDF. Would File>Export>PDF work? Whether kpdf (or any other pdf viewer) is installed should be irrelevant to LyX's export capabilities, though it is of course relevant to its viewing capabilities.

I cannot view as postscript. I get a window with an error message:

An error occurred whilst running dvips -t a4 -o 'newfile1.ps'
'newfile1.dvi'.

  In the terminal window, I get the same error message followed by:

This is dvips(k) 5.98 Copyright 2009 Radical Eye Software (
www.radicaleye.com)

dvips: ! Couldn't find header file tex.pro

Note that an absolute path or a relative path with .. are denied in -R2
mode.

Error: Cannot convert file.

The first step towards debugging this is to see if dvips will run from outside LyX. So (i) export your LyX file to LaTeX; (ii) run the following, from within the directory where that file now is:
    latex newfile1.tex
    dvips -t a4 -o newfile1.ps newfile1.dvi
Do you get the same error?

rh