I've tried my home windows PC (1.6.5) and my office linux pc (1.6.0) with
the same results I cannot import Latex code into Lyx using tex2lyx or using
File-Import-Latex (plain). Both give me problems. I've tried known working
latex code on the Internet but that doesn't work either, so I don't think I
have a bad input on my end.

Within Lyx, the version shows up as 1.6.0 while from synaptic package
manager the installation is package 1.6.4-1ubuntu1. The version information
on windows says 1.6.5

The error message from lyx is:
"An error occurred whilst running tex2lyx -f
'Latex_Output_for_Housing_Class_1.tex'

The error from the command line (tex2lyx -f
Latex_Output_for_Housing_Class_1.tex tmp.lyx ) is more elaborate but no more
helpful to me:

    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/share/lyx/scripts/layout2layout.py", line 15, in <module>
    import os, re, string, sys
    File "/usr/lib/python2.6/os.py", line 49, in <module>
    import posixpath as path
    File "/usr/lib/python2.6/posixpath.py", line 16, in <module>
    import warnings
    File "/usr/lib/python2.6/warnings.py", line 6, in <module>
    import linecache
    ImportError: No module named linecache
    Could not run layout conversion script layout2layout.py.
    We failed to find the layout '' in the layout list. You MUST
investigate!
    Segmentation fault

Attached are the two tex files I used as inputs.

Any advice on how to fix this problem or work around it? Thanks for the
help.
Benjamin Kay