Am 19.04.2010 20:25, schrieb Marshall Feldman:

I have several questions regarding numbered equations:

At first, please have a look at LyX's Math manual that you find in LyX's help menu. This will give you many info and answers.

1. How does one add punctuation to numbered equations?

What do you mean here?

2. How does one make the equations be part of a paragraph that begins
before and continues after them?

I also don't understand what you mean here. If you are in a paragraph and press Ctrl+Shift+m you get a displayed formula that is part of this paragraph. (If you want to have an inline equation, press only Ctrl+m (omit the Shift key).)

3. How does one continue a numbered equation across multiple lines?

2 + 2 = 4 (1),
C = 2 x pi x r (2), and
A = (1/2) b x h (3).

In the above example, I can't figure out how to add the commas, period,
and conjunction adjacent to the equation numbers.

The equation number is the last character of an equation line, according to ISO norms. So you need to place the phrase "add" into a separate line. This can be done by either

- using the command \intertext, as described in the Math manual
- use two equations as in the attached example file

The latter is the usual method.

(By the way in English there is no comma before the "and" if the part after the "and" is the last enumeration in a sentence; like in
"A, B, C and D are letters.")

Also notice that the
sentence beginning with "As" is part of the paragraph beginning with
"Three."

Everything is one paragraph if you don't press Enter after of before the equations. In the attached file there is only one paragraph.

Regarding my third question, I have a long equation that should span
multiple lines. Instead, LyX keeps it on one line that runs off the
right side of the page, when it should look like:

5 = 1 + 5 = 2 + 3 = 3 + 2 = 4 + 1 = 10/2
= 50/10 = 100/20 (4)

You are responsible for line breaks in equations. Possible methods are described in the Math manual.

regards Uwe