(this list always fools me into replying directly, instead of to the list)

Yes, the learning curve is steep, but worth it for the control you get.

If you're already 250 pages into it then yes, you want to look for conversions. At worst you could install OpenOffice, convert the Word document, then convert to Lyx (I think you may have to convert to LaTeX, then from there to LyX). Between the fundamental differences between Word and LaTeX, and the fact that you've been WYSIWYGing you are guaranteed to end up with a messed-up document, which you will have to fix.

But those last 50 pages will still be easier to end up with in LyX if you convert now.

*Meredith * wrote:
Thanks for this Tim, being new to Lyx it just seemed like a steep learning curve (though outputs are so much better than word) that I thought pasting the entire ref list at the end of the document (from word) would be easier than importing them all (especially since I have only about 50 more pages to write and 250 already written in word). Is there an easy way that you know of to import word documents?