On Thursday 17 June 2010 14:59:36 Gary Kline wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 05:42:53AM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> > On Thursday 17 June 2010 02:46:53 Gary Kline wrote:
> > > People,
> > >
> > > Appended is a greatly abbreviated sample of the novel that I want
> > > to get typeset via the TeX/LaTex/LyX program set.
> > >
> > > Given the superb toolset that TeX offers, I would like to use
> > > different typefaces: typewriter fonts --- as per my example
> > > typewritten letter.  I also have places where I am thinking of
> > > using a small, bold handwriting font.  And one large bold
> > > handwritten script where my blind character writes a short poem
> > > to her lover.
> > >
> > > In other words, the only trouble I have been having in the past
> > > two weeks is getting the typewriter fonts to fit, indented the
> > > way a <BLOCKQUOTE> </BLOCKQUOTE> would do.   I have found that
> > > the "\small" macro 9pt does not work for the typewriter fonts.
> > > Only the "\tiny" macro works; but 5pt is simply too small to be
> > > read easily.
> > >
> > > The nutshell here is:: Can lyx help me do what I want and switch
> > > from, say, "newcent" {at 10pt} to "courier" {at 9 pt} and back.
> >
> > Not sure, but I think I can help you. I think you need the \begin{sloppy}
> > command at the beginning of your typewriter font, and the \end{sloppy}
> > command at the end of your typewriter font. To test my hypothesis, just
> > insert the raw LaTeX (ERT). If indeed that works, then using a layout
> > file, create an environment called "mylegalese" or some such name that:
> >
> > 1: Begins with \begin{sloppy}
> > 2: \begin{ttfamily}
> > 3: \begin{small}
> > 4: Prints the content
> > 5: \end{small}
> > 6: \end{ttfamily}
> > 7: \end{sloppy}
> >
> > The preceding is an oversimplification. To get it to act like normal
> > environments you might need to implement it as a list, but I think just
> > doing the preceding should get you close.
> >
> > I've written some docs about making your own environments. The table of
> > contents for those docs is at:
> > http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/lyx/index.htm
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > SteveT
> >
> > Steve Litt
> > Recession Relief Package
> > http://www.recession-relief.US
> > Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/stevelitt
>
>       No joy.  At least not with my latex file and the markup you
>       had.  I'm using mutt as my MUA.  Will check out your
>       troubleshooters URL shortly.

Yeah, I just pulled it out of my &(#$*(#$ without actually tech editing it.
But you can do *something like* what I wrote to accomplish your goal.

>       I'm having some trouble putting my latex file {OR} plain
>       ASCII fie with LaTeX markup into the lyx processor.  I think
>       this was one reason i gave up on lyx back in the 90's!

If you mean your layout file, yeah, those are a pain. I understand your giving
up LyX -- I came darned close to giving up on it after a few weeks, and then a
few months, and even once after about 5 years. All because of the same thing
-- the difficulty involved in creating new styles or modifying existing ones.
What I can promise you is as you get more experience with LyX it gets easier.