Liviu and Guenter,

Thank you very much for the information. It helps a lot.

>> In 2.0 you can specify custom encoding in Document > Fonts > LaTeX
>> font encoding. Not sure this helps in your case, though.

I see. 2.0 users can manually control the fontenc line after version
2.0 from inside LyX, so I only need to give them an instruction to do
so.

> In 1.6 (and older), you can globally set the font encoding
> (Tools>Settings ...). Try with OT1 instead of T1.

By changing from T1 to OT1, the font problem I faced disappeared so
users can at least work on LyX. However, it seems the publisher
requires the fontenc line to be completely removed if the users don't
use the proprietary mathtime package (the publisher doesn't use LaTeX
to typeset). So, I'm going to ask pre-2.0 users to edit exported LaTeX
file with external editors before they submit the manuscripts.

Thank you again for your help!

Koji