To all it may concern not reading Trac - I've just added following comment:

I would like to enhance this idea with an option to display an small
icon before the text, like WikiMedia does on its pages.

This method my apply to all other small insets, like footnote, label,
etc. Icons may contain tooltips explaining what kind of inset is that,
even short explanation may be useful.

Certainly I understand that displaying such images in LyX text control
may be harder to implement that current mechanism basing on
descriptive texts.

--
Manveru
jabber: manv...@manveru.pl