Hi all,

I have a problem wih the fancyhdr package. I use lyx version 1.6.5.
In order to add the title of the chapter in the top line and the
pagenumber at the bottom of the page (both for even numbered pages in
the right corner and for odd numbered pages in the left corner), I
used the header:

\usepackage{fancyhdr}

\pagestyle{fancy}

\fancyhead{}  % clear all header fields
\fancyhead[LO,RE]{\leftmark}
\fancyfoot{}  % clear all footer fields
\fancyfoot[LO,RE]{\thepage}
\renewcommand{\headrulewidth}{0.4pt}

It works perfectly fine. However, the first page of each chapter is
unchanged. I want to change the position of this pages to the left or
right position and no header. To this end I used in the header the
command:

\pagestyle{fancyplain}
\fancyhead{}  % clear all header fields
\fancyfoot{}  % clear all footer fields
\fancyfoot[LO,RE]{\thepage}

If I put this in the header in front of the \pagestyle{fancy}
commands, the first chapter page looks like the following ones but
without a line in the top.
If I put it in the header after the \pagestyle{fancy} commands, the
first chapter page looks as I intended (no header, the pagenumber
moved to the left/right corner). However, the other pages got only a
line in the header without the chaptername.

What is wrong?

Additionally I have a small question which I could not find in the
forum: Occasionally (4 lines in 100 pages) a line overwrites the right
margin. It seems that, this are lines with very long words. How can I
manual force a line break in this case?

Thank you very much for your assistance!

Kind regards,

Stefan Zorn