Hi all. I've had a look around but can't seem to find an answer to this
one... I want to create a regular ole framed box (you know, as a
self-contained area for 'aside' or 'extra info' type content), but I can't
figure out how to give it a useful automatic identifier. As in, following
the same naming format that Figure captions do: Box 1, or Box 1.1, etc, and
have this displayed in the top part of the box somewhere.

I've just used Insert —> Box (as minipage). If I attempt to insert a
caption, LyX warns me that would be 'Senseless!!!', and doesn't generate
anything other than the caption text (no numbering). I tried wrapping the
box in a float, which then allowed me to insert a caption, but this of
course is treated as a *Figure*, which is not what I'm after (and would mess
up the numbering for any subsequent real figures).

Any help much appreciated!

Running LyX 1.6.7 with TeXLive 2009 on OS X 10.6.4 x64.
~:Justin Wood:~
PhD candidate, *Energy & Engineering school*, Murdoch
University<http://www.murdoch.edu.au/>