Wolfgang Engelmann <engelmann <at> uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

> I have a vertically long figure and a long caption text. I would like to use
> captionbeside to fit figure and text on a page. I use Koma book and twocolumn
> page style. For the figure I would of course use 'span columns' in the
> settings for the float figure.
>
> Has anybody done it successfully under LyX? Specifically, where in the
> document do I place the ERT \FigBesBeg and \FigBesEnd?
>
> The following placements give errors:
> Abbildung
> \ref{fig:RNApolymeraseTranskription} zeigt ... Transkription.
> \inputencoding{latin1}{}\inputencoding{latin9}%
> \begin{figure*}
> \begin{centering}
> \includegraphics[clip,width=0.4\textwidth]{BilderEG/6-16}
> \par\end{centering}
> \begin{captionbeside}[Beginn der Transkription eines Gens durch Polymerase II]
> {\label{fig:RNApolymeraseTranskription}...}
> \end{captionbeside}}
> \end{figure*}
>
> If Koma book and twocolumn page style do not go well together with
> captionbeside, what are the alternatives?

Wolfgang,
For me the following method works:
Add to your preamble

\newcommand{\CapBesBeg}{%
 \setcapindent*{0em}
 \let\MyCaption\caption
 \renewcommand{\caption}{\begin{captionbeside}}}

\newcommand{\CapBesEnd}{%
 \end{captionbeside}
 \setcapindent{0em}
 \let\caption\MyCaption}

and then include your figure as follows

\begin{figure}
\CapBesBeg\caption[Short Caption]{\label{fig:label}Long Caption}
[o]\includegraphics{figures/filename}\CapBesEnd
\end{figure}

Let me know if you have any problems with that.

Mukhtar