Richard, Paul,

Thanks for the quick reply. It seems I have to read and experiment much more
on this matter. I've just found some suggestions around the acronym package.
While the acronym package does not fulfill the ultimate goal it might
partially serve my actual needs. The best would be the mixture of acronym +
nomenclature packages. Need to play a bit more with these beasts to know
them better.

Again, thank you for your kind help!

Cheers,
Peter