On 9/26/2010 10:44 AM, Richard Heck wrote:
On 09/26/2010 10:26 AM, Paul A. Rubin wrote:
On 9/26/2010 9:47 AM, Tóth István Zoltán wrote:
Hello,

I'm quite new to LyX and at the moment I'm trying to find an easy way to
customize the general table style. I'm going to write a document with a
number of tables and I would like to change the default settings for
example the font size and the border lines.

Is there any way to do this or do I have to set the properties for every
table manually?

The easiest way may be to create one empty table, customized to your standards, and park it at the beginning or end of the document. Then just copy it and paste it anywhere you need a table, and customize further (if necessary) from there. I do that fairly often when I'm creating multiple tables with similar dimensions and features.

Surely there must be a good LaTeX way to set these defaults, though. The worry about doing it by cut and paste being: What if you change your mind later? I never use tables, though (well, hardly ever), so don't know about this.

Richard

You can create your own custom LaTeX environment to use in lieu of tabular, but then you can't use the table editor in LyX (you'll have to do it in ERT), and you'll have to supply the ampersands to separate columns etc. Some of the spacing elements are controlled by LaTeX "lengths", which you could redefine in the preamble, but I don't think there are global settings for horizontal and vertical lines, column alignments or fonts within the tables; those are all done on a per-table basis.

/Paul