On 11/01/2010 12:53 PM, Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:
I want to be able to write Lyx documents, then convert them to pdf
format from the command line -- this is for a moderately complex
website, which I would like to generate using a makefile.

Is there a way to do this from the command line?  I assume I have to do
this:

lyx<insert magic here>  myfile.lyx
juer...@linux-r4p5:~>  lyx -help
Usage: lyx [ command line switches ] [ name.lyx ... ]
Command line switches (case sensitive):
[...]
         -e [--export] fmt
                   where fmt is the export format of choice.
                   Look on Tools->Preferences->File formats->Format
                   to get an idea which parameters should be passed.
         -i [--import] fmt file.xxx
                   where fmt is the import format of choice
                   and file.xxx is the file to be imported.
         -f [--force-overwrite] what
                   where what is either `all', `main' or `none',
                   specifying whether all files, main file only, or no files,
                   respectively, are to be overwritten during a batch export.
                   Anything else is equivalent to `all', but is not consumed.
         -version        summarize version and build info
Check the LyX man page for more details.

So,

lyx -e pdf2 myfile.lyx

exports to PDF via pdflatex.

And if you're wondering where "pdf2" comes from, the answer is that this is the identifier LyX uses for that format. Look under Tools>Preferences>File Formats and ...>Converters for the various options.

rh