On 2010-11-02, Rob Oakes wrote:

> But, initial experiments show that it was easy to get up and running,
> and that it works with LyX 2.0 very well.  Take care with UTF
> characters, though.  I probably could have gotten it sorted out, but
> didn't really want to fuss with it.

There is an ongoing effort to "unify" the usage of XeLaTeX and LuaLaTeX,
i.e. recent versions of fontspec and unicode-math support work in a way
you can use the same document with both engines.

My description would be along the lines:

  Since TeXLive 2010 you can also use LuaTeX with LaTeX documents
  exported for the XeTeX engine (make sure *not* to load the "xunicode"
  package).

Also, documents intended for XeTeX/LuaTeX should use the "polyglossia"
package instead of "babel" for language support. AFAIK, is not yet
implemented in LyX 2.0.

Günter