Am 04.11.2010 09:59, schrieb Christian del Castillo:

1) using the version I installed last time from here:
ftp://ftp.lyx.org/pub/lyx/bin/1.6.7/LyX-1.6.7-4-Installer.exe
I still do not get to choose a GUI/ install language, and in the end my
LyX was (automatically) in Japanese, again.

This is important to know! I wasn't aware of that because I use this installer only seldom. Can you please report this issue at our bug tracker so that this can be fixed?:
http://www.lyx.org/trac/wiki/BugTrackerHome

2) using the version you suggested to me (your version) which I
downloaded from here:
http://prdownload.berlios.de/lyxwininstall/LyX-167-4-25-AltInstaller-Complete.exe
I do get a choice to my preferred language, and in the end, the LyX
started up in the language of my choice.

Perfect!

I think your installer is definitely better than the other one I used.

In this case yes, but in general it is a matter of taste.
The main reason I provide an alternative installer is that the author of the official can often not be informed about bugs via email. In general my installer contains some extra-features compared to the official LyX installer:
http://wiki.lyx.org/Windows/LyXWinInstaller#detailed-comparison

(I know that having two installers for one program is confusing but I still don't see a way to improve the situation.)

regards Uwe