Hi

I am in contact with Henrik Just, the developer of Writer2LaTeX,
concerning implementation of comments and possibly track changes into
the export from odt format to LaTeX. As I am using LyX, the second step
is the import into LyX, and the import should be working fine as well.

So the question he asked (see below our conversation) how LyX imports
track changes. As I do not know the internals of LyX, I am posting the
question here.
I know that LyX has track changes, but I do not know if there is any
mechanism to import them from a different format. If there is not, I
think this would be a brilliant functionality to incorporate, especially
in the light of co-operation with doc users: One could export the
document to odt, convert it to doc an send it to them. They could use
track changes and comments in the usual way, and via ooffice to convert
the doc to an odt, Writer2LaTeX could be used to import the document
including the track changes and comment into LyX.
This functionality would bring us a huge step closer to simplifying the
working together with non-LyX / LaTeX users and therefore make LyX much
more interesting for the yet unconverted.

So - can somebody shed some light on Hendrik's question, if and in which
form LyX imports track change information?
And if it does not - would there be somebody interested from the LyX
side to bring this aspect forward?

Cheers,

Rainer

P.S: at this URL, you can find the initial discussion which led to the
question and the relevant mails:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/writer2latex/forums/forum/919908/topic/3917061/index/page/1

2010-11-01 15:20:21 SAST
Hi Rainer Of course author and date information should be added to
comments, this change just made it into version 1.1.5, which is released
today. It's already possible to configure the export of notes, for
example w2l -notes marginpar document.odt to export as a marginpar. For
details, see
http://writer2latex.sourceforge.net/doc1.2/user-manual14.html#toc32 I
didn't plan to convert track changes, but of course it would be
possible. Can you give an example why this would be useful? Best regards
Henrik

2010-11-05 23:47:34 SAST
Hi Henrik Thanks for the update concerning the notes - that is really
perfect (I like the marginpar and pdfannotation). Thanks a lot for that.
Concerning track changes: I am using LyX for my writing, but
(unfortunately) work together with users preferring word. Therefore my
workflow is to export to odt, open on OO, save as doc --- get comments
and track changes --- open in OO, and transcribe the changes into the
original LyX document. If the export of track changes would work, I
could Open the document in OO abd save as .odt, import into LyX (using
w2l) and keep the track changes. This would be quite nice, because I
guess I could convince my co-workers to use OO, but not LyX / LaTeX.
Hope this clarifies my suggestion and gives a usefull usage example,
Cheers, Rainer

2010-11-10 17:28:51 SAST
Hi Rainer That's an interesting idea. I wonder in which form LyX will
import track changes information? Best regards Henrik

- --
Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Natural Sciences Building
Office Suite 2039