Stefano Franchi helped me by doing a pretty neat translation of .doc to Lyx.
I found it very usable, and am grateful to him.

Earlier, he advocated this route:

QUOTE from the post by Stefano:

The conversion is never pretty, I am afraid. I usually follow  this path:

1. in word (or equivalent) save from doc  to rtf
2. convert rtf to latex with rtftolatex2e   (in Linux and, I think, MacOs X.
I do not know if a version for windows exists)
3. clean up the tex file in a text editor (in particular, remove all the
\tab commands, take a close look at the font commads)
4. import the latex file into lyx

It may work for you. Others have suggested the html route

UNQUOTE

FN

PS: I did have to remove a lot of \tab commands, and some \dots, but that
was all... far better than manually resetting! Thanks, Stefano!!!

Frederick Noronha :: +91-9822122436 :: +91-832-2409490