On 30/11/2010 19:03, Uwe Stöhr wrote:
Am 30.11.2010 14:04, schrieb Ken:

The cause is some part of the installation process pushing MikTeX's
private bin directory on the front of the system PATH env var.

This is done by the MiKTeX installer. The LyX installers only start this
MiKTeX-installer (which is a program of its own). Therefore you need to
report the problem to the MiKTeX developer.
But note that this can most probably not be changed. Many programs put
itself at the first position of the PATH when being installed. This is
often necessary to overcome problems you have now: that libraries of
other programs are used instead of the ones that come with the program.
(For example, many programs have a file named "convert.exe". The
position in the PATH decides which convert.exe will be used.) This
general Windows-problematic cannot be solved properly.

regards Uwe

Thanks for the response. I am aware of this kind of problem on Windows. I think the only solution is for installers to never touch the PATH environment variable. Applications can place all the dlls they require, from other products as necessary, in a dedicated directory, the same one containing all the product's own .exes and .dlls. That is what MikTeX has done with the Qt dlls. It should perhaps allow others to treat it equally.

Regards,

Ken