With lyx 1.6.7 on Ubuntu 10.10 the spell checker cannot be started, running
from terminal gives me this output.

gra...@antec-linux:~$ lyx
ForkedProcess::kill(5)
Error: Spellchecker error
The spellchecker could not be started
LyX: Failed to start ispell!

** (<unknown>:3299): WARNING **: Failed to send buffer

** (<unknown>:3299): WARNING **: Failed to send buffer
Killed 3301
../../../../src/frontends/qt4/Dialog.cpp(129): Dialog "spellchecker" failed
to translate the data string passed to show()

This a fresh install of both Ubuntu and Lyx (a couple of weeks old), and the
spell checker was working until today

Possibly of relevance, after this re-install, Emacs was giving me an error
that it couldn't enable flyspell.

This apparently needed elisp updated which was done as per instruction to
add ppa:ubuntu-elisp/ppa
and update the dist-upgrade.

This may be coincidence but since sorting out the spell checking issue with
emacs, I seem to have broken the spell checking with Lyx.

I have re-installed Lyx, but this hasn't helped.

Thanks,

Graham