Niko Schwarz <niko.schwarz <at> googlemail.com> writes:

> Hi, I'm using LyX with the springer LNCS article class. In my previous
> work, all the program listings I had to write could reasonably well be
> called "algorithms," so I used the algorithm class in a float. This
> time, they aren't really algorithms, they're just program listings.
> So, I'd the surrounding float to be called "program listing," not
> "algorithm."

If you will have exclusively program listings and no algorithm floats, you can
put the listings in algorithm floats and add to your preamble
\floatname{algorithm}{Program Listing}.  That will change the float captions to
"Program Listing 1", "Program Listing 2" etc. in the output (they'll still say
"Algorithm" in the LyX GUI).  Note that if you insert a List of Algorithms, the
heading of that will still use the word "algorithm".

If you want to mix algorithms and program listings, you'll need to declare a new
float class for the program listings and insert the floats using ERT.

/Paul