Thanks a lot for the help.

Is that the line that says "\newcommand{\singlespacing}{1}"?  So I could
just replace all \singlespacing with something like \snglspcing?

If so, I'm not sure if that will address what I'm ultimately trying to do.
 My root problem is that when I insert a float figure, lyx's
\inlcudegraphics command has a caption that has the figure number and
caption on separate lines.  Where the thesis.cls defines a function \Figure
that supposedly does it all on one line (per the guidelines).  However, when
I insert ERT and call the classes function I get an error "LaTeX Error:
Unknown graphics extension: .eps." which I don't know what to do with.  Any
suggestions there?

Danny