2011/1/27 J. Gardner <disinteres...@gmail.com>:
> Earlier I posted about slow startup (up to five minutes) with LyX 2.0
> beta 3 on Windows 7 Pro 32 bit. After some experimentation, I
> discovered that the problem was that there was a corrupted DVD in the
> drive. This caused very LyX to start very slowly and freeze for
> several minutes every time a change was made to the preferences
> (presumably because of an interaction with Windows explorer).
> Interestingly, it didn't cause problems with other applications.
> Removing the DVD solved the problem, but I thought it might be useful
> to note what the solution was -- maybe it suggests a change that can
> be made to prevent similar problems.

I suspect this problem to be deeper than LyX code itself. Probably
something in Qt library requests WinAPI specific calls to identify
drives available in the system. It is a Windows fault it hangs for
long time trying to identify broken DVD in the drive. Similar scenario
is happening in Total Commander if you select the drive with faulty
disc.

--
Manveru
jabber: manv...@manveru.pl