On 14/02/2011 2:51 PM, Danny Parker wrote:
That did get the figure number and caption in the same line (much thanks)
but it did not single space the caption.  Do you know of a quick way of
fixing that?  I tried just using the paragraph settings but it seems the
class has redefined /singlespace so when I try to make the pdf I get an
error.

How about:
\usepackage[font=singlespacing,labelsep=period]{caption}

 Thanks to the help of another user I think I can edit the class to
rename the command freeing up /singlespacing.  The one thing I'm unsure of
when doing that is do I only have to reconfigure LyX or do I need to do
something with MiKTeX also?

If you modify the class file you don't need to reconfigure anything I'd think. If you made a renamed copy of the class file under a different name, and change or rename your LyX layout file accordingly, then I'd think you would need to reconfigure LyX.

Again thanks for the help.  It's very much appreciated.

You're very welcome. Good luck.

Julien