Well,

Abiword crashes on me when I try to open lyx´s xhtml files. If, as Richard
suggested, I remove the first line (the XML declaration), then ooffice opens
the file correctly, but puts some garbage on the first line. See pdf below.
I am enclosing a simple test file in lyx and the xhtml with the first line
removed that produced the garbage line. Can anyone try on their systems?

Cheers,

Stefano