Thanks for the replies.

Regarding video drivers, I'm using intel graphics and did not do any modification regarding xorg or graphic drivers.

I ran it through terminal as well, but there were no error message.

A couple of updates. Now I installed lyx 1.95rc1-2.3 from the KDE:Unstable:Playground/KDE_Release_46_openSUSE_11.4 repo, and it feels more responsive.
I need to use it more to be sure though.

One thing I noticed now is that maybe float tables were causing this.
LyX becomes slow when there is a table present on the screen.
So even in the same document, when I'm editing a part of the document where there is no table visible in the lyx window, it is very responsive. But if table is visible on the window not only scrolling but also typing becomes slow. If I click on float: Table button to collapse the table float, it becomes faster again.

(I tried this with float: Figure as well but it seems float: Figure does not affect this)

I'm using

\usepackage{multirow}
\usepackage{tabularx}

in the preamble.