Hi

>I made small edition to my final thesis in Word and now it looks terrible
>again.
>I want to get rid of it. I have more important things to do than keep
>document's
>layout in looking good.

I feel your pain. It was a similar experience with word that made me change to
LyX
in 1999. However, if you do not have a week to familiarize yourself with LyX and
LaTeX you should finish your thesis in word first, and then learn LyX.

>I have been playing with openoffice writer2latex and lyx for several hours
>without
>notable success.

Sadly, writer2latex tries to conserve as much as possible of the  layout and
that
makes the LaTeX code in my opinion ugly and not really compatible with LyX.
So I would say that using writer2latex is a not an option, sorry :). Maybe
somebody have other opinions about writer2latex, and how to make it
behave, and I guess they will tell us so. :)

The  best way forward if you have the time is to find a thesis-lyx-layout that
resembles your layout and put your text into it. You should also read the
LyX Help->introduction and tutorial. Then when you find something you need
to change, you can ask the mailing list (after checking the wiki ;-) ).

Here are a starting point to some thesis-lyx-layouts:
http://wiki.lyx.org/Examples/Thesis
http://www.thesis-template.com/

Finally, dropping word is possible the best choice you can do, however, learning
LyX is necessary to utilize it... But I have never met anybody not being happy
after learning LyX :).

hth,
Ingar Pareliussen