On 03/30/2011 10:12 PM, stephen's mailinglist account wrote:
> On 30 March 2011 15:53, BOB Merhebi <bobmerh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello fellow Lyxers,
>>
>> I've been using the "article" (default) class to write my documents; am
>> still learning LyX. Today was the first time i print out a LyX written
>> document & it looks great but for the text size. It is readable but
>> would like it to be more like the text size of the user guide when printed.
>>
> I believe the default size is 10 pt. This can  be altered (11 or 12 pt
> I think) - under the document menu, the set of options below the one
> where you chose the document class book (settings? Sorry not on home
> machine - hence no current lyx access)

Indeed I figured this out with the help of Richard (copied at the end) a
few hrs ago; thanks for the reply though :D
>> I just tried copying my document into a new LyX file & choosing "book"
>> from the Document settings; when I compared the dvi between the article
>> class & the book class, all the differed is the section & subsection
>> sizes but not the "standard text". Is this how it should be ? Will it be
>> similar to the user guide when printed ?
>> Moreover, the numbering of the sections & subsections reset & started
>> with 0 instead of 1. Why is that & how can it be fixed ?
>>
> For article the top level heading is a section (well I think you can
> have a part too but..)
> For book the top level is chapter, and if you convert straight from
> article to book you are missing chapter 1.

Indeed as well, though the typesetting is not similar; it displays:

Part #    :: for part (centered)
Chapter #    :: for chapter

On 03/30/2011 10:53 AM, BOB Merhebi wrote:
> Hello fellow Lyxers,
>
> I've been using the "article" (default) class to write my documents; am
> still learning LyX. Today was the first time i print out a LyX written
> document&  it looks great but for the text size. It is readable but
> would like it to be more like the text size of the user guide when
> printed.

Document>Settings>Fonts>Default Size.

> I just tried copying my document into a new LyX file&  choosing "book"
> from the Document settings; when I compared the dvi between the article
> class&  the book class, all the differed is the section&  subsection
> sizes but not the "standard text". Is this how it should be?

Yes. The classes are almost identical.

> Will it be similar to the user guide when printed?

No. I think the user guide uses "article (koma-script)". But this is
independent of font size (except that the koma classes may offer more
choices).

> Moreover, the numbering of the sections&  subsections reset&  started
> with 0 instead of 1. Why is that&  how can it be fixed ?

This is because books have chapters.

> One last thing I noticed in the book-based document is that the pages
> (after the "contents" page) "all" display a "CONTENTS" header. Again,
> why is&  how to fix that ?

Because you are still in the Contents "chapter". If you don't have
chapters, you do not want book.

Richard

--
Sincerely Yours,