>> My LyX file references a number of fonts however I have not been able to
>> successfully convert to PDF for some time due to various reasons. I have
>> solved them all bar this one, and am quite stumped.

To help anyone else with equivalent strangeness (for the record), I was
able to resolve the error using the following method of debugging:

1. Create a totally new LyX document
2. Test render (result = ok)
3. Copy my real document's LyX preamble in to the new document
4. Test render (result = fail)
5. Isolate the preamble portion causing issues by repeated
    commenting in the preamble/re-rendering
6. Test render (result = ok)
7. Copy my real document's content in to the new document
8. Test render (result = fail)
9. Delete portions of the content until isolating the cause, which was
    some language/style related commands that were previously
    prerequisites for functional multilingual rendering with proper fonts
    and may have been related to the legacy preamble.

After some experimenting with the recent builds (now LyX 2.0.0 RC2)
the language setting is not required for rendering properly, only setting a
text-style per foreign language section, plus ensuring some equivalent
preamble to set the font.  (Originally I had to do both!)

I now have a document that correctly mixes Chinese, English, Greek
and will render out to PDF.

UTF-16 warnings remain but do not appear to affect the output.

Thus far I have been unable to get Farsi text to render out correctly,
but have not spent too much time on the problem.

- Walter