On 2011-04-17, Richard Heck wrote:
> On 04/17/2011 03:40 AM, gordon cooper wrote:
>> Greetings to all.

>>   I am very new to Lyx but have had some experience with Latex.

>> I have  to write monthly reports/meeting minutes.  Have looked at the
>> templates for report/articles/proceedings  and have found that none
>> of them is what I need.  So I tried making a  .lyx file with the
>> layout that
>> suited and tried to save it as a new template.  Lyx refused to save it
>> but
>> did not tell me why.

> Where were you trying to save it? Depending upon your OS, and if you
> were trying to save it to where the system templates are, you may not
> have proper permissions to do that. Just try saving it as a normal file
> to a normal location. Templates actually are just normal files.

However, if you want to use it via "New from template" it's a good idea
to keep in $LYXDIR/templates (where the value of $LYXDIR means the "LyX
user dir", depends on the OS and can be seen via Help>About LyX).

OTOH, you can use any directory and set the path under
Tools>Settings>Paths.

I have my templates under ~/.lyx/templates/ and in this directory placed
a symlink to /usr/share/lyx/templates/ (where the official LyX templates
reside).

Günter