On 2011-05-11, Diego Queiroz wrote:

> [-- Type: text/plain, Encoding:  --]

>> But the only one for truly consistent behaviour. If you want to export
>> stand-alone, uncheck the master setting.

> Even if the master setting is not set in the child, LyX still display all
> macros perfectly if the master document is open.

This is a bug. (Around LyX 1.4, math-macros were resolved in any
open buffer - related or not.)

> My complaint is this: if LyX is able to interpret things and display them in
> the editor, it should be able to generate the output. That's all.
> Specially if this problem is not present in older versions.

Oh no. If LyX is able to interpret a label defined in some other
document but not in the current one, I would not expect this to work
in LaTeX. Why should math-macros be different?

>> No, you can *include* the sub-documents and use the includeonly feature
>> to compile a subset of sub-documents where LaTeX will ensure
>> (almost) correct page numbers and references and LyX will use the
>> parent doc settings instead of the child-doc ones.

> What happens when you set the include only option?
> The whole document is generated and the pages are ommited or it handle the
> pages in a more fashioned way?

TeX \include is specially designed for the master/child concept. Read
about it in the (La)TeX docs.
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=include

> I am asking this because, if LyX handles it in a good way, we can
> change the action of the view button of child docs to automatically
> generate the master document including only the active document. This
> appears suitable for me and is better than blocking.

This was my suggestion for included documents setting a master, while
input document setting a master would defaut to "compile/view/export
master". However, I also suggested to use this as *defaults* - allowing
the user to override the "consistent" behaviour in favour of flexibility.

>> Actually, *you* generate the error -- a reference to a label that does
>> not exist in the document. Setting a master (currently) is just an
>> "editing hint" but does not change the way a document is compiled
>> stand-alone.

> If LyX options were consistent, it won't let me generate such errors.

This is why I wrote what needed to be done for true/strong consistency:
you cannot compile a *.tex document designed for inclusion as a
stand-alone document.

I prefer to live with some amount of inconsistency because otherwise I
would have to use ERT for references to labels I know exist but LyX
doesn't.

> A "show output anyway" button would be great.
> However, if LyX consistency were assured, there's no need for it (expect
> when using ERT).

... or the LaTeX preamble or an outdated TeX distribution or a package
combination with conflicts or ...

Günter