On 05/22/2011 8:59 PM, Christopher Menzel wrote:
> On 22/05/2011 7:07 PM, Christopher Menzel wrote:
>> ...Yes, yes, that is exactly what I was looking for.  The relevant
>> debugging output appears to be this:

>> The row information is indeed there.  I do not know enough about LyX's
>> internals to figure out from the rest of it why the forward search is
>> still failing.
>
> Whoops, hang on, I had been doing a bit of experimenting with PDF output
> and had deleted entry for a DVI viewer in Preferences -> Output ->
> General.  I've put the command for Yap back in and now, well, forward
> search is now working.  I am certain I had selected the built-in Yap
> command when it was first failing, as I checked and double-checked
> against the instructions, but perhaps I just had some sort of blind spot
> (or, as I shall choose to believe, I inadvertently fixed something :-) .

OK, things still aren't quite right but I think I've uncovered what
might be the problem.  As I note above, when I first set things up, I
was certain I had selected the supplied Yap command for Preferences ->
Output -> General.  However, since I was only using Yap, I left the
field for the PDF viewer blank.  This led to the "Couldn't proceed"
message when I invoked Forward Search.  I have since added the supplied
viewer command for SumatraPDF, even though I am only previewing with
DVI, and now when I invoke Forward Search, I see the following error
message:

13:00:31.093: The process failed to start. Either the invoked program is
missing, or you may have insufficient permissions to invoke the
program...\..\..\lyx-2.0.0\src\support\Systemcall.cpp(217): Systemcall:
'CMCDDE SUMATRA control
[ForwardSearch("""Recombination.pdf""","""Recombination.tex""",84,0,0,1)]'
did not start!
..\..\..\lyx-2.0.0\src\support\Systemcall.cpp(218): error The process
failed to start. Either the invoked program is missing, or you may have
insufficient permissions

That is, LyX is calling the appropriate forward search command for a PDF
preview document, not DVI.  According to the documentation, this should
not be happening:

  Forward search works both with DVI and PDF output. LyX simply
  checks which preview format you have used before (i.e., which
  format is already there in the temporary directory) and chooses
  the appropriate configuration for the respective format.

I have checked the Temp directory LyX is using for my current document
and there are no signs that I am using PDF there; there are only the
output files you expect from using the latex command to generate a DVI
file. I'm not sure why forward search started working properly for me
last night -- something happened to enable LyX correctly to realize that
I was doing a DVI preview -- but pretty clearly its invoking the forward
search command appropriate for PDF instead of DVI is the reason why it
wasn't working for me before and is not working again now. (The problem
arises whether or not I use the synctex option.)

Suggestions, as always, much appreciated.

Chris Menzel