On May 25, 2011, at 3:04 AM, Trevor Jenkins wrote:

> There is a much smaller package that can be installed that has all the TeX
> files required by LyX. See here:http://www.tug.org/mactex/morepackages.html
>
> Indeed there is ... but the Mac pages on the LyX wiki only mention the full
> MacTeX distribution and then take the user straight to the download
> directory. If the wiki link used http://www.tug.org/mactex/ instead then
> prospective users would be alerted to the choice from the very beginning.

On the MacTeX home page http://www.tug.org/mactex/ there is a clear reference
to "smaller packages." I did a bit of exploring of TeX, LaTeX, and LaTeX front
ends before deciding what I wanted to do -- all of probably a couple hours max.
A good idea when getting into something as complex and fundamental to your
future work as LyX/LaTeX/TeX.

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eew...@bellsouth.net