On Tuesday, May 31, 2011 15:18:03 Jens Nöckel wrote:
> Sam,
> just use PNG for all purposes. It's compressed but lossless, and it's
> supported by LyX as well as all modern web browsers. Jens
>

> On May 31, 2011, at 12:50 PM, Sam Lewis wrote:
> > Thanks for your quick reply.
> >

> > I intent to both print it and distribute it online. I guess two versions
> > of the document might be useful.  What lossy format, would you recommend
> > for the latter?

If it really is high resolution, even a PNG image format may give unacceptably
slow loading over some internet connections.  JPEG is usually smaller than
PNG, so there is an argument for using it for online distribution.  But in
general PNG is a very good universal format.  If the PNG file is still too
big, reduce the image resolution for online distribution.
--
Les Denham