From: Liviu Andronic [mailto:landronim...@gmail.com]
Sent: 13 June 2011 12:49 PM
To: Steve Sidney
Cc: myi...@gmail.com; lyx-users@lists.lyx.org
Subject: Re: lyx 2 and sweave

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 12:35 PM, Steve Sidney <ste...@nla.org.za> wrote:
> Thanks for your rsponse
>
> But if one never runs RTools, how does it do this.

You should only need to install RTools, this way properly configuring your
Win environment for LyX to R communications, but not run it at any point
when trying to compile an Sweave document.

It was some time ago, but as far as I remember immediately after installing
RTools (and after having already registered Sweave.sty with
LaTeX) I could to easily compile LyX Sweave documents. To echo Murat, on
Linux and Mac it's all much more straightforward, since simply installing
LyX and R suffices to make LyX Sweave work.

> In the instructions, it seems as if RTools does not get run; or am I
> missing something.
>
> Also when I downloaded RTools it seems as if this is a tools to
> re-compile the source code, since a full download also inlcludes a
compiler etc.
> Furthermore, it also seems as if RTools implements Cygwin.

That might be one of the things that allows for the LyX Sweave integration.
It might be better for you to tell us what exactly doesn't work on your
set-up: LyX compilation errors, etc.

Regards
Liviu

--