Hello
I'll take a stab at some suggestions.

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 3:45 AM, RDB <r...@oboeguide.com> wrote:
> A ONE-PAGE GUIDE TO INSTALLING AND USING LYX ON DEBIAN 6 DESKTOPS
>
> 1. To install LyX, start by opening System->Administration->Synaptic Package
> Manager. Under Settings->Preferences->General make sure "Consider
> recommended packages as dependencies" is checked, then install the following
> packages: texlive-full, latex2rtf, chktex, rcs, and lyx. [Note: If you
> anticipate creating multiple documents with lengthy bibliographies, then
> install the "pybliographer" package as well.]

It might make sense to suggest an alternative installation procedure
via apt. For example,
apt-get install texlive-full latex2rtf chktex rcs lyx pybliographer

For those already used to copy/pasting install procedures in a root
terminal, the alternative would be much more straightforward.

> 2. Open System->Preferences->Keyboard->Layouts->Options->Compose Key
> Position, and check "Right Win" (check something else if your keyboard
> doesn't have those generally unused Windows logo keys): you can then press
> and release this key, followed by two other keys according to the chart at
> http://www.hermit.org/Linux/ComposeKeys.html to type special characters.

Is this really necessary? Or essential?

> 3. If you're using US "letter" sized paper (i.e. 8 1/2" x 11") rather than
> the slightly larger European "A4" sized paper, then LyX needs to be told

I would argue that "letter" is larger (in width), while "A4" is longer
(in length). But it's a long time ago that I was playing with US
"letter" sheets, so I may get it wrong.

> this. Start LyX, make the change to "US letter" paper in
> Tools->Preferences->Output->LaTeX, then select Save. Next, open a new
> document in LyX (via File->New), go to Document->Settings->Page Layout,
> change the paper format to "US Letter", and click on "Save as Document
> Defaults". You shouldn't have to make either of these changes again.

I'm wondering if the second change is really necessary, given that the
first is supposed to be gloabal (LyX-wide).

> 4. The fact that you installed "latex2rtf", "chktex" and "rcs" enables a few
> more features in LyX (if you don't see them right away run
> Tools->Reconfigure and then restart LyX): you can use File->Export to export
> a LyX file as Rich Text Format (which Microsoft Word and almost all other
> word processing software can understand), the "Check TeX" command in the
> Tools menu helps you find typographical problems with your document, and
> "Version Control" in the File menu lets you track your writing progress and
> revert to any earlier version of your document (for more details on using
> version control see Help->Additional Features->Table of Contents->LyX
> Features needing Extra Software->Version Control in LyX).

When I perform "clean" installations of LyX on Debian-based systems, I
usually select all packages in Synaptic > Right click on LyX >
Suggested. This way I'm pretty sure that I'm not missing anything in
particular.

> 5. If you'll be exporting as Rich Text Format, and then importing into
> Microsoft Word, any LyX documents which contain equations, then go to
> Tools->Preferences->File Handing->Converters and remove the "-p" and "-S"
> switches from the command which invokes latex2rtf [Note: after saving this
> change you'll need to run Reconfigure and restart LyX].

Perhaps also suggest installing eLyXer? I haven't followed it closely,
but the author seems to develop particularly with an eye on
compatibility with MS Word import (I think).

> 6. It bears mentioning that the only reason you should ever have to export a
> LyX document as Rich Text Format is if the person you'll be sending that RTF
> file will be taking over the job of editing it: if the recipient only needs
> to read your document, then you should save it in standard PDF (pdflatex)
> format, which unlike RTF format will present your document exactly as it is
> supposed to look.
>
> 7. If you're creating an Encapsulated Postscript graphic for later inclusion
> in a LyX document, it's generally best to save that graphic without the
> "preview."
>
> 8. If you're asked to use double-spacing with a 12 point font, then open
> your LyX document and go to Document->Settings->Text Layout to set "Line
> spacing" to Double, and go to Document->Settings->Document Class to enter
> "12pt" as a Custom Class Option.

If you're guide discusses formatting issues, it is essential to
suggest going through the entire Help > Introduction and Tutorial, and
perhaps my LyX Essentials [1].

Regards
Liviu

[1]