Am 18.06.2011 22:20, schrieb  Frederick FN Noronha फ्रेडरिक नोरोन्या *فريدريك
نورونيا :

If I use the {\fnsymbol{footnote}} command at the start of my book, I
am able to get symbols for the footnotes/endnotes, instead of numbers.

A question please: how do I get a large number of such symbols, as
required? At present, I am able to get only a limited number (maybe 25
or 50, not sure), after which error messages start showing up.

This is not possible. The TeX-font that is used for the symbols does not contain than more than 26? symbols. This is also stated in LyX's EmbeddedObjects manual.

regards Uwe
  • ... Frederick FN Noronha फ्रेडरिक नोरोन्या *فريدريك نورونيا
    • ... Uwe Stöhr
    • ... Guenter Milde