On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 04:09:36 +0200
Liviu Andronic <landronim...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 1:52 AM, Steve Litt
> <sl...@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
> >>
> >>  If you work in plain latex, while you write it,  you get a text
> >> pestered with commands. That makes difficult the work to write up
> >> and to correct the text.
> >>
> >> Marcelo
> >
> > I couldn't have said it better myself. And because of what Marcelo
> > said, I find LyX is a MUCH faster authoring environment than
> > anything in which I need to see markup.
> >
> As much as I agree with this, the one drawback of LyX is that you have
> to put up with its bugs. The big advantage of using LaTeX is its
> reliability: as long as you know exactly what you do, you only need a
> robust text editor (or another, or yet another one) to do the job. LyX
> on the other hand can throw surprises from time to time.
>
> This said, LyX is generally rock-solid. Cheers

I agree also, but I have an old very large project with lots of custom
macros that simply won't translate well into LyX. I use emacs + auctex
+ reftex and find it very good. Auctex supplies a "folding" mode that
allows you to hide most of the markup (actually, as much or as little
as you want). Not quite a slick as LyX, but not far behind either.

It is a viable alternative.

Cheers,
Alan

> Liviu