Following the instructions in Help-Specific Manuals-Multicolumn Manual, I
placed the ERT commands \begin{multicols} {2} and \end{multicols} around a
body of text that I wanted to appear in double columns.
The script doesn't run and the following message appears:

Errors:
LaTex Error: Environment multicols undefined.
LaTex Error: \begin{document} ended by \end{multicols}.

\begin{multicols}{2}
Your command was ignored, etc.

Now why would my command be ignored?

--