On 07/09/2011 04:15 AM, Steve Litt wrote:

> LyX is probably the #2 most important application in my business
> (VimOutliner is #1). It's important enough that I'm willing to compile
> my own, always assuming that there's a 2.x version that compiles well
> on Ubuntu 11.04. What do you think is the best, most solid, most
> tested LyX 2.x right now?
>
> Probably over half the time from 2001 til now my LyX was self-compiled
> rather than package installed.

For people who are comfortable doing it, I think the best option is
always to follow branch, i.e.:
    svn co svn://svn.lyx.org/lyx/lyx-devel/branches/BRANCH_2_0_X
It's almost always true that current branch is more stable than the
previous release, because you have the bug fixes for (in this case)
2.0.0, even though 2.0.1 is not yet out. (And there have been a lot.) We
strive to keep branch from having regressions, but of course they do
sometimes pop up. In that case, though, they tend to be fixed very
quickly (bisecting them is relatively easy), and of course you can
always roll back to an earlier revision if need be. The other advantage,
from our point of view, is that branch gets more testing this way.

What I have done is checkout branch as above, then, from the appropriate
directory:
     ./autogen.sh
    ./configure --enable-build-type=rel
    make
    sudo make install
(I know you know this, Steve. Others may not....) The latter disables
debug code and assertions. Then set up a simple cron job:
    svn up
    make
which will keep the tree up to date. Then you re-install from time to time.

Richard