Hello lyx users -

Does anyone have experience using the ACM class acmsmall.cls?  It is
required for quite a few of the ACM (Association for Computing Machinery)
journals.  I seem to have everything working except that I can't place
labels before the Section headings.  If I do, I get the following two errors
(for each label):

Missing control sequence inserted.

...and-terminology}Notation and terminology}

Please don't say `\def cs{...}', say `\def\cs{...}'.

I've inserted an inaccessible control sequence so that your

definition will be completed without mixing me up too badly.

You can recover graciously from this error, if you're

careful; see exercise 27.2 in The TeXbook.

Use of \let doesn't match its definition.

...and-terminology}Notation and terminology}

If you say, e.g., `\def\a1{...}', then you must always

put `1' after `\a', since control sequence names are

made up of letters only. The macro here has not been

followed by the required stuff, so I'm ignoring it.

Curiously, labels before subsection headings seem not to be a problem.

I'm not a lyx newbie.  I've successfully produced a manuscript for Journal
of Statistical Software using jss.cls, and have previously produced good
PDFs using elsarticle.cls (Elsevier) and jgaa-art.cls (Journal of Graph
Algorithms and Applications) from the same lyx document that's giving me
trouble with acmsmall.cls.

Any help appreciated.  Thanks.

Jeff Howbert