On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 7:44 AM, Zhaorong Wang <wzr8...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear lyx users,
> I am using lyx 2.0 on windows 7. I just keep lyx as simple editor of
> writing progress report every week. Often I need to insert figures,
> but the figures usually have different original size. Lyx seems to
> insert graphs using their original size as default. But sometimes big
> figure even exceeds the right boundary of the page. Then I need to
> make it smaller manually through the graph dialog box. So I want to
> change the default to be like as wide as the text width. How can I do
> in the preamble? I am simply using the document class "article".

I don't know if you can alter the defaults in this case, but you could
do the following: when inserting the figure go to the 'LyX options'
tab and change the 'Scale on Screen' as desired, then 'Open new group'
and insert a grp name. Afterwards use 'right-click' on newly inserted
figure and use this group via the checkbox.
Liviu