On 2011-08-30, Steve Litt wrote:

> Now when everyone says "you must use XeTeX", does that mean that in my
> scripts that make books, I substitute the xetex command for the latex
> command?

For "non-TeX fonts" (i.e. Unicode-encoded system fonts) you must use either
the XeTeX or LuaTeX "engine" instead of the pdfTeX/eTeX one.
Both should be used with the LaTeX macro extensions.
In most distributions, the commands are

  latex          pdfTeX engine with LaTeX macros and DVI output
  pdflatex       pdfTeX engine with LaTeX macros and PDF output
  xelatex        XeTeX  engine with LaTeX macros and PDF output
  lualatex       LuaTeX engine with LaTeX macros and PDF output

Of course, LyX knows this and calls them appropriately. However, hand-made
scripts will need adaption.

> Should I expect any side effects or problems?

This depends.

As you want to change the font anyway, minor layout changes will not be
visible (like with e.g. switching the engine but keeping Latin Modern as
text font).

Some packages are not supported (e.g. microtype is only partially supported).

Some languages are only supported by babel (package for pdfTeX) while others
are only supported by "polyglossia" (the language package for XeTeX)

Preamble and ERT commands might need adaption.

Günter