On 09/14/2011 07:03 PM, Hal Kierstead wrote:
> Many thanks Richard.  You were exactly right. It was because of using a
> unicode accent on my mac instead of  " \' ".  I would have never guessed
> this.
>
> Is it a bug?  I only started using unicode symbols after somebody on here
> recommended it.

It's kind of a bug, yes, but is also kind of inevitable. LyX will handle
Unicode BibTeX files properly, but only if the encoding of the document
is set to the same as the encoding of the BibTeX file. I.e., LyX assumes
that the encodings of the two files are the same, because that actually
needs to be the case for processing purposes. There are newer
processors, such as biber, that will do Unicode, and the newer BibLaTeX
processor will do this, but for the standard LaTeX + BibTeX combination,
you really need to use pure ASCII, because that is all BibTeX supports.
You can sometimes get away with a bit of Unicode in a BibTeX file,
actually, but it's just sheer luck when it works.

Ideally, LyX would detect the encoding of the file and re-write it as
needed. But this is impossible to do reliably, in principle, and it is
difficult to do with much reliability in practice.

See: http://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/6223.

Richard