On 13/10/2011 11:20 PM, Simon Mushi wrote:
Richard,
   Coincidentally, this happens with all the authordate family of
styles, i.e. 1,2,3 and 4. Do you observe the same behaviour on your
system? Using the APA style gives "Ahrens et al., 2000", which is
_correct_, but I prefered authordate3's presentation of the bib
itself.

Line 268 of authordate3.bst has the following entry

                 { ", {\em et~al.\}\relax" * }

  no spurious spaces here...anywhere else to look?

Thanks,
  -Simon

There certainly is an extra space on that line when I open authordate3.bst from my tex distribution. To remove it delete the backslash and the space that come after et~al.

--
Julien